Derby (0) 0
West Ham (0) 0

Dire, drab match. Derby keeper Poom was the busiest saving from Di Canio,
Carrick and Lampard, but overall a game to sen insomniacs to sleep.


Everton (0) 0
Aston Villa (0) 1 (Merson 90)

A smash and grab of a result as Villa produced one shot on target in
the entire game as Paul Merson's last minute wondergoal found the
net. The ball fell to the former England man fully 30 yards from
goal and having taken a glance, his looping effort beat keeper
Gerrard and drifted in just under the bar. Villa keeper David James
had kept Everton at bay with a series of fines saves in what was
frankly a poor game.


Charlton (2) 2 (Johansson 4, Stuart 16)
Bradford (0) 0
RED CARD : Stuart McCall (Bradford) 90

No Collymore or Carbone for Bradford and their hosts took full
advantage, wrapping up the points inside the opening sixteen
minutes. Jonathon Johansson scored his fifth of the season to equal
Bradford's entire tally when he tapped home a cross from Graham
Stuart and it was the midfielder who scored the second himself
twelve minutes later. A superb move took Charlton from one end to
the other, resulting in the former Everton man firing home after a
one-two with Johansson. Bradford misery was complete in stoppage
time when assistant boss Stuart McCall was sent off for a second
bookable offence, a foul on Stuart.

Coventry (0) 1 (Zuniga 63)
Man United (2) 2 (Cole 27, Beckham 38)

Manchester United showed no mercy to an injury hit Coventry team as
David Beckham made one and scored one to keep United top. Andrew
Cole opened the scoring after a drab opening to the game, sweeping
home a volley from Beckham cross. The midfielder then doubled the
lead with a trademark free-kick that was seen late by young keeper
Chris Kirkland who could only help the ball in. Sub Ysrael Zuniga
pulled a goal back when he got a touch on Gary Breen's towering
header, but United rarely looked in danger throughout the game.

Leeds United (1) 4 (Viduka 24, 46, 73, 75)
Liverpool (2) 3 (Hyypia 2, Ziege 17, Smicer 60)

An astonishing game at Elland Rd as Leeds twice came from behind to
beat Liverpool 4-3 with all four goals coming from Mark Viduka. Poor
marking cost Leeds early on as first Hyypia headed home a McAllister
free kick and then Ziege did similar with a Berger cross to send the
visitors two up. Viduka pulled one back when Ziege's awful clearance
struck Alan Smith and fell to the Australian who neatly chipped
home. Inside a minute of the second half starting Viduka headed home
Kelly's near post cross to level things up. Smith then missed a
sitter after an almightly mix up between Westerveld and Babbel left
him with an open goal, only for Carragher to get back to clear.
Liverpool then went back ahead when Smicer controlled Berger's cross
to slot home neatly. Two goals in three minutes won the game for
Leeds late on, firstly when Viduka latched onto a Dacourt through
ball, twisted and turned and then firing in from a tight angle off
the far post and the game was won when Dacourt's shot found Viduka
who was marginally offside, but the Australian chipped neatly home
to leave the fans breathless.

Man City (0) 0
Leicester (0) 1 (Savage 55)

Leicester City bounce back after their midweek Worthington Cup shock
to register a fine win at Maine Road to leap frog Liverpool and
regain third place. The only goal came early in the second half from
the boot of Robbie Savage who was set up by Neil Lennon's free kick,
his first shot struck Paulo Wanchope, but the Welshman dispatched
the rebound well.

Middlesbrough (0) 0
Arsenal (1) 1 (Henry (pen) 25)
RED CARD : Crossley (Middlesbrough) 24

Arsenal stay in touch with Manchester United at the top of the
table, but were made to fight by a resilient Middlesbrough team who
drop into the relegation zone as a result of this defeat. The
talking point of the match came midway through the first half when
Freddie Ljungberg tore through the centre after an error by Vickers,
only to be hauled down by keeper Mark Crossley who was promptly
shown the red card. It was left to Thierry Henry to fire the only
goal past third choice keeper Marlon Beresford as the differing
fortunes of both clubs continue.

Newcastle (1) 2 (Shearer 22, (pen) 66)
Ipswich (1) 1 (Stewart 13)

Newcastle came from behind to see off Ipswich and earn a long
overdue Premiership victory after a poor recent run. It didn't look
good for Bobby Robson's team when Marcus Stewart put the visitors
ahead early on, tapping home after Jermaine Wright was denied twice
by keeper Shay Given. The lead lasted less than ten minutes when
Alan Shearer found the net to equalise, holding off two defenders to
fire home Goma's long ball. The winner left Mark Venus looking to
the heavens as he tripped Shearer to allow the former England
captain to drive home the winner from the penalty spot.

Southampton (2) 3 (Beattie 3, 90, Tessem 37)
Chelsea (0) 2 (Wise 69, Poyet 78)

Chelsea are still without an away win in the league since April
Fool's Day, but they almost redeemed themselves after an awful start
at The Dell. James Beattie took less than three minutes to open the
scoring, sweeping home a Wayne Bridge cross. The advantage was
doubled later in the half when Jo Tessem blasted home from close
range as a Bridge free kick caused confusion. A few choice
translated words of Italian wisdom at half time sent Chelsea out
will all guns blazing and it paid off with two goals in ten minutes.
Firstly Dennis Wise converted a Poyet flick from a Zola cross and
then Poyet thumped home a header from Zola's cross. Saints were not
to be denied though and lifted themselves out of the relegation zone
with a stoppage time winner from Beattie again, firing a free kick
into the top corner to send the Dell faithful home delighted.

Spurs (1) 2 (Sherwood 43, Armstrong 79)
Sunderland (0) 1 (Hutchison 63)
RED CARD : Thatcher (Spurs) 89
MISSED PENALTY : Phillips (Sunderland) 37

Some of the pressure hanging over George Graham has been lifted
slightly after a narrow victory over Sunderland who've not won at
White Hart Lane since 1978. It could have been different had Kevin
Phillips found the net with a penalty after Ramon Vega had once
again handled the ball (where have we heard that before?), however
the England striker skied the kick and Spurs took full advantage.
Six minutes later Tim Sherwood broke the deadlock, tapping home an
Anderton corner. Don Hutchison then scored his third goal in two
games when he levelled matters in the second half, powering home a
header from Alex Rae's cross. Spurs won the game late on when Chris
Armstrong, so often at the height of the Spurs fans anger, slotted
home after Sherwood's through ball sent him clear. The day ended
badly for Spurs though when Ben Thatcher received a second yellow
card and subsequent red for dissent having had a free kick awarded
against him.

Gary Dowden
Chief Editor - Soccerage (UK)