10 DECEMBER 2000

Coventry (1) 1 (Bellamy 40)
Leicester (0) 0

A workmanlike performance from Coventry saw them defeat East
Midlands rivals Leicester and ease out of the bottom three. The only
goal came from Craig Bellamy who paid another slice of his 6m
transfer fee by sneaking in with a close range header from Paul
Telfer's cross.

Liverpool (0) 0
Ipswich (1) 1 (Stewart 45)

Another stunning result for Ipswich who continue to shock and
surprise everyone, although victory at Anfield is probably the
highlight of a fine season so far. The winner came from Marcus
Stewart in first half stoppage time who darted past two defenders,
rounded the keeper before slotting past Carragher on the line.


Arsenal (2) 5 (Henry 13, Parlour 16, 87, 90, Kanu 52)
Newcastle (0) 0

Arsenal kept in touch with the leaders with a thumping win over a
Shearer-less Newcastle, thanks largely to a Ray Parlour hat trick.
Thierry Henry began the fun and games, controlling a pass from Adams
before firing home after beating a defender. Parlour added a second
three minutes later, making no mistake from Kanu's pass and it was
the Nigerian who put the points firmly in the Arsenal account just
after half time, converting a fine ball from Ljungberg. As the game
looked to be petering out, Parlour scored two more late on to
complete his hat trick, firstly heading home Henry's cross and then
firing home for his hat trick after being sent clear by Pires.
Newcastle have now played 23 games in London without a victory

Bradford (1) 3 (Lawrence 9, Windass 69, Carbone 89)
Spurs (2) 3 (King 10 secs, Campbell 23, Armstrong 54)

Bradford denied Spurs their first away win of the season, showing
the newly installed fighting spirit under new boss Jim Jefferies.
History was made after just 10 seconds when Ledley King found the
net from long range to notch up the quickest goal in Premiership
history. Jamie Lawrence levelled matters inside ten minutes,
converting a Windass corner, however Sol Campbell then scored a rare
goal as he headed home a Clemence cross. Chris Armstrong made it 3-1
after the break with a tap in after good work from Ferdinand and
that elusive victory looked on. However Dean Windass set up a tense
finale with twenty minutes left as he converted an Atherton cross
and in the final minute, Beni Carbone levelled matters, hooking home
after good work from Petrescu and Sharpe.

Charlton (1) 3 (Bartlett 10, 79, Robinson 85)
Man United (2) 3 (Giggs 42, Solsjkear 43, Keane 66)

Charlton provided a sensational comeback against the league leaders
to reduce their lead at the top to six points. Loan signing, South
African captain Shaun Bartlett stunned United early on by heading
home powerfully from a Kishishev cross and it looked as though they
would hold the lead until half time. Two goals in a minute turned
the game around though, firstly from Ryan Giggs who curled a beauty
after a Solsjkaer pass found him and a minute later, Giggs struck
the bar with a remarkable effort from near the half way line and
Solsjkaer was there to gobble up the loose ball. When Roy Keane made
it 3-1 midway through the second half, shooting home after he was
set up by Giggs, the result looked beyond doubt. However with eleven
minutes left, Bartlett found the net again, heading home Kinsella's
cross and then with just five minutes on the clock, John Robinson
drilled home inside the far post to end the game all square.

Chelsea (3) 4 (Gudjohsen 10, 16, Poyet 37, Zola 53)
Derby (0) 1 (Riggott 55)

Chelsea's fine home form continues as Derby's good recent run came
to an end at Stamford Bridge. Eidur Gudjohnsen, in for the suspended
Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink, gave boss Claudio Ranieri food for thought
with two early goals. His first was a fine effort into the corner
after being found by Babayaro and then doubled the lead a the near
post after Poyet had robbed Taribo West. The Uruguayian added the
third himself with Gudjohnsen the provider this time, his cross
neatly headed home. Gianfranco Zola completed the rout, volleying
home Dalla Bonna's far post pass, before Chris Riggott scored  a
consolation, converting a Martin free kick with a fine header.

Man City (3) 5 (Wanchope 11, Howey 23, Goater 43, Dickov 55,
Naysmith (og) 68)
Everton (0) 0

Man City ended their run of six successive defeats with a crushing
victory over luckless Everton. Paulo Wanchope opened the scoring
from close range after visiting keeper Gerrard couldn't hold a
Horlock free kick. This was doubled midway through the way when
Steve Howey headed home a corner, also from Horlock and a third
followed just before half time when Shaun Goater scored his first
Prem goal, latching onto a Wanchope header to slot home. Paul Dickov
got into the act ten minutes into the second half, firing home after
a weak Gerrard punch and when Gary Naysmith touched a Charvet cross
past his own keeper, the rout was complete.

Southampton (1) 1 (Beattie 43)
Leeds United (0) 0
RED CARD : Kachloul (Southampton) 82

Lazio's conquerers Leeds United failed to convert their Champions
League form into domestic points as they slipped up at Southampton.
The winner came from James Beattie who continued with his rich vein
of form recently by firing the ball past Robinson after good work by
Pahars. Saints ended with ten men after Hassan Kachloul was sent off
for a second bookable offence, grabbing Lee Bowyer around the throat
after Alan Smith's tackle on Claus Lundekvam sparked a mass brawl.
Kachloul then aimed an elbow and head-butt at Bowyer as he walked

Sunderland (0) 1 (Gray 55)
Middlesbrough (0) 0

More of a damp squib than an all action local derby and with
Bradford drawing, the 1-0 defeat saw Middlesbrough hit the bottom
after their first game under the charge of Terry Venables. The only
goal had an element of good luck about it as Michael Gray's
capitalised on a poor clearance from Ugo Ehigou to drill under
keeper Schwarzer.

West Ham (1) 1 (Carrick 15)
Aston Villa (1) 1 (Hendrie 37)

Honours even between two clubs with an identical points record
before today. Michael Carrick put West Ham ahead, drilling home
after a cross from Paulo Di Canio was cleared, however Villa earned
a point when Lee Hendrie levelled matters, firing home off both
posts after being set up by David Ginola.

Gary Dowden
Chief Editor - Soccerage (UK)