19 MAY 2001

Charlton (0) 0
Liverpool (0) 4 (Fowler 55, 71, Murphy 60, Owen 80)

Liverpool clinched a Champions League place after a comprehensive
victory at Charlton. Having been largely outplayed for the first
half, Liverpool took control after Robbie Fowler's overhead kick
found the corner after Ilic flapped at a corner. Danny Murphy
drilled home the second having been set up by Owen and ten minutes
later, Owen was again on hand to find Fowler who shot across Ilic
into the corner. Owen grabbed the final goal himself, latching onto
a poor defensive pass to fire home.

Coventry (0) 0
Bradford (0) 0

Goalless between two clubs already relegated - no surprise there!

Derby (1) 1 (Christie 31)
Ipswich (0) 1 (Naylor 46)

Ipswich stay fifth and will play in the UEFA Cup next season after
coming from behind to draw at Derby. Georgi Kinkladze set up Malcolm
Christie to round the keeper and slot home. Ipswich levelled matters
when Reuser's cross was half cleared to Naylor whose half hit shot
found the net.

Everton (1) 2 (Tal 11, Ball (pen) 77)
Sunderland (1) 2 (Phillips 21, 83)
RED CARD : Hutchison (Sunderland) 64
MISSED PEN : Unsworth (Everton) 65

Plenty of thills and spills at Goodison after Everton twice lost the
lead against Sunderland. Idan Tal opened the scoring when his
deflected free kick wrong footed Sorenson, however Kevin Phillips
equalised when he took advantage of poor marking to smash home.
Former Evertonian Don Hutchison was then harshly sent off when he
was judged to have brought down Unsworth as he bore down on goal,
however Unsworth saw the penalty saved by Sorenson. Michael Ball
showed him how to do it later when he converted well from the spot
after Schwarz had fouled Naysmith, however Kevin Phillips earned a
point for the Black Cats when he beat two men before scoring at the
near post.

Leeds United (1) 3 (Smith 27, 90, Harte 77)
Leicester (1) 1 (Ferdinand (og) 32)

Leeds remain fourth after leaving it late to see off Leicester. Alan
Smith bundled home the first from Harry Kewell's cross after a
mistake from Lee Marshall, however the lead lasted five minutes when
Junior Lewis' header hit the bar and rebounded into the net off of
Rio Ferdinand. An Ian Harte special restored the lead, flighting
home a free kick from the edge of the box, before Smith wrapped up
the victory, slotting home after a fine flick from Lee Bowyer.

Manchester City (1) 1 (Howey 39)
Chelsea (1) 2 (Wise 19, Hasselbaink 62)

Chelsea confirmed their place in the UEFA Cup next season after a
hard fought victory at Maine Road. Dennis Wise fired home the opener
after a neat back heel by Hasselbaink, however Steve Howey levelled
the scores with a header from a corner. Hasselbaink thumped home the
winner just after the hour, latching onto a looped pass by Zola.

Middlesbrough (2) 2 (Job 21, Karembeu 45)
West Ham (1) 1 (Todorov 34)

Boro finished their season with a victory over managerless West Ham
in a game that had little at stake. Joseph Desire Job scored the
first, firing home after rounding the keeper, however Todorov
equalised with a tap in after good work from Joe Cole. Christian
Karembeu won the points with a fine shot from the edge of the box
that found the far corner.

Newcastle (2) 3 (Glass 9, Cort 14, Delaney (og) 74)
Aston Villa (0) 0
RED CARDS : Speed (Newcastle), Taylor (Villa) both 84.

Newcastle finished with a bang, beating Aston Villa comprehensively
courtesy of a fine display by Nol Solano. The Peruvian crossed for
Stephen Glass to volley home at the far post early on and then
another excellent ball in saw Carl Cort beat David James to the ball
and head home. After David Ginola was substituted before half time,
much to his annoyance, Solano again set up the third which was
diverted past his own keeper by Mark Delaney. Ian Taylor and Gary
Speed were red carded near the end after some pushing and shoving
between the pair.

Southampton (0) 3 (Kachloul 47, 61, Le Tissier 89)
Arsenal (1) 2 (Cole 28, Ljungberg 54)

Southampton twice came from behind to beat Arsenal courtesy of a
superb late goal from legend Matt Le Tissier to seal victory in the
last competitive game at The Dell. The visitors took the lead when
Ashley Cole scored after his original shot was saved, however just
after half time Hassan Kachloul equalised from the edge of the box
after a defensive mix up. Freddie Ljungberg tapped home Arsenal's
second after fine work from Thierry Henry, however Kachloul again
equalised at the far post after Arsenal failed to clear a ball into
the area. The stage was sent for Le Tissier, who swivelled on the
edge of the box to crash a volley into the top corner of the net.

Tottenham (1) 3 (Korsten 17, 67, Ferdinand 75)
Manchester United (1) 1 (Scholes 22)

Three successive defeats for the Champions as Spurs gave a fine
display of long range shooting. Simon Davies was involved in all the
hosts' goals as his corner was palmed to Willem Korsten by Van der
Gouw who fired home from the edge of the area. Paul Scholes levelled
with a volley after Sheringham had headed back Phil Neville's cross,
however midway through the second half, Davies again set up Korsten,
who again netted from long range. The points were secured when
Davies found Ferdinand who again netted from 20 yards.

Gary Dowden
Chief Editor - Soccerage (UK)