1 OCTOBER 2000

Arsenal (1) 1 (Henry 30)
Man United (0) 0

SA surprisingly low key game between these two giants lit up by a brilliant goal
from Thierry Henry to clinch the points and send United to their first defeat in
22 league games. Henry collected a pass with his back to goal and in one
move, flicked the ball up, turned and volleyed into the top corner. United
dominated the second half possesion but Arsenal held firm.

Chelsea (2) 3 (Westerveld (og) 10, Hasselbaink 11, Gudjohnsen 71)
Liverpool (0) 0

Chelsea move out of the bottom three with their first victory under Claudio
Ranieri, however they needed a little luck to get started when Sandor
Westerveld punched a corner into his own net. Within a minute, Gudjohnsen
found Hasselbaink who crashed home from the edge of the area and then late
on, Gudjohnsen added the third, rounding the keeper and slotting home after
an error by Gerrard.

Sunderland (0) 0
Leicester (0) 0

Goalless but Leicester go top thanks to Man Utd slipping up. Ade Akinbiyi had
the best chance for the visitors, shooting wide whilst clean through early on
whilst Sunderland almost nicked it when Phillips header was superbly saved
by Flowers.


Aston Villa (2) 4 (Joachim 28, 86, Merson 37, Wright 54)
Derby (0) 1 (Riggort 58)

Julian Joachim, despite announcing that he wants to leave Aston Villa, came on
as an early sub for David Ginola and scored twice to condemn Derby to the
bottom spot. His first came with a fine finish having been put clear by Merson
and he then wrapped up the scoring late on with a neat finish. Between those
two efforts, Paul Merson doubled the lead with his 100th league goal with a
fine curling effort (or was it a cross?) that beat Poom despite not being cleanly
struck. Alan Wright then scored his traditional one goal per season with a fierce
drive before Chris Riggott pulled one back.

Charlton (0) 1 (Hunt 59, Johansson 88)
Coventry (1) 2 (Aloisi 41, Bellamy (pen) 71)

Charlton twice came from behind to deny Coventry a priceless away victory,
but they were left deflated knowing that victory would have put them up to 
third. John Aloisi scored his fourth goals in as many days, tapping the ball
past Kiely at the second time of asking after a swift break by himself and
Chippo. Andy Hunt levelled things up, nodding home after Johansson had hit
the bar. Craig Bellamy made it 2-1 from the spot after Richard Rufus had
stupidly handled in the box, however it was left to Johansson, who can't stop
scoring of late, to earn a point late on for the Addicks, hooking in Powell's
header superbly.

Everton (0) 0
Ipswich (1) 3 (McGreal 19, Stewart 50, 60)

Ipswich Town tore Everton to shreads after a defensive display from the home
side left boss Walter Smith fuming. The visitors went ahead early on when
McGreal's thupming header nestled into the far corner from Magilton's cross.
Enter Marcus Stewart in the second half as Everton lost their heads at the
back. Steve Watson's loose pass found Naylor who crossed for Stewart to
thump the ball home and then he latched onto an underhit back pass by
Unsworth to round the keeper and score, but only after Weir had cleared off 
the line.

Leeds United (0) 4 (Viduka 52, 54, Smith 59, 64)
Spurs (1) 3 (Rebrov 36, 75, Perry 61)

A second half goal blitz at Elland Road left the fans breathless as Leeds beat
Spurs by the skin of their teeth. Sergei Rebrov put the visitors ahead before
half time nodding home Carr's cross, but it was after the break that the fun
began. Mark Viduka scored his first league goal for his new club with a tap in
after Bowyer's cross was touched onto the post by Sullivan and the cheers had
barely died down when he did it again, diverting Kelly's shot home. Alan Smith
then added a third, heading home Bowyer's free kick, however within two
minutes Chris Perry made it 3-2 heading home Anderton's cross. Smith then
restored the two goal lead three minutes later, again heading home whilst
unmarked, however Rebrov then scored his second of the game, looping an
effort over Martyn, the officials deciding the ball was over the line before Smith
cleared. Ultimately it was all too late for Spurs who couldn't muster a fourth.

Man City (0) 0
Newcastle (0) 1 (Shearer 74)

Alan Shearer scored his first goal from open play this season after Newcastle
beat Man City at Maine Road. The goal was simple enough as he headed home
a Solano cross, the effort was allowed despite heated appeals for offside.

Southampton (0) 1 (Pahars 81)
Middlesbrough (2) 3 (Boksic 17, 83, Festa 32)

Alen Boksic was the difference between the clubs according to Saints boss Glenn
Hoddle and it was the Croatian who set the game alight with the opening goal
and a cracking one at that. He was found by Karembeu and after a fine run in
from the right wing, fired home from the edge of the box. Gianluca Festa
doubled the lead after good work from Karembeu and Ricard, although the
shot was deflected. Marian Pahars pulled a late effort back, heading home
whilst totally unmarked, but Boksic finished as he began - with a goal -
nodding home from inside the area.

West Ham (1) 1 (Cole 26)
Bradford (0) 1 (Petrescu 90)

Hammers boss Harry Redknapp slammed his team for conceding what he
called 'a crappy goal' in stoppage time to deny them the victory. Joe Cole
opened the scoring in the first half, heading home Frederik Kanoute's cross.
The late equaliser came from a Carbone free kick. Instead of going for goal, 
the Italian chipped the ball in for an unmarked Dan Petrescu to head home.

Gary Dowden
Chief Editor - Soccerage (UK)