19 NOVEMBER 2001

Charlton (2) 4 (Euell 21, 28, Johansson 51, 90)
West Ham (2) 4 (Kitson 3, 30, 64, Defoe 84)

West Ham took the lead early on when Paul Kitson fired home off the
post from the edge of the box after good work from Paolo Di Canio.
Jason Euell then turned the game on it's head with two goals in six
minutes, firstly tapping over keeper Shaka Hislop after the keeper
had spilled Scott Minto's back header from Mark Kinsella's free
kick, and then Charlton took the lead when Tomas Repka lost
possession to Jonaton Johansson who slotted in Euell to clip home at
the near post. Within two minutes, West Ham levelled matters as
Kitson emulated Euell by scoring his second. Paolo Di Canio sprayed
a lovely ball wide for Minto, who in turn found a superb cross for
Kitson to sweep the ball into the back of the net. Shortly after the
restart, Charlton regained the lead through Johansson as West Ham
again lost the ball in midfield, allowing Scott Parker to surge
forward. His through ball sent Johansson away and as Hislop came off
his line, the Charlton man slotted it under him neatly. Just after
the hour mark, Kitson completed a remarkable hat trick as the hosts
failed to deal with a Di Canio cross, allowing Trevor Sinclair to
prod the ball back for Kitson who made no mistake from close range.
Kitson was then substituted with fifteen minutes to go and his
replacement, Jermaine Defoe, made a superb impact within nine
minutes sending a fine volley past Dean Kiely after Di Canio's cross
had been deflected into the air. A minute into stoppage time, the
eighth goal of an amazing evening found the net as West Ham failed
to clear a long throw into the area, it was headed on by Mark Fish
and Johansson, with his back to goal, beat Hislop with a wonderful
overhead kick.

18 NOVEMBER 2001

Everton (0) 0
Chelsea (0) 0

Honours even at Goodison in an uneventful game, although both clubs
could have snatched victory. Everton's best chance came when Scot
Gemmill forced a fine save from Mark Bosnich, and late on, Chelsea
almost won the game when Gianfranco Zola's free kick was brilliantly
tipped onto the bar by Simonsen.

Ipswich (1) 1 (Holland 45)
Bolton (2) 2 (Bergsson 6, Ricketts 25)

Ipswich continue to struggle as Bolton continue to impress. The
visitors took the lead when Gudni Bergsson headed home a corner from
close range, although the ball seemed to go through keeper Matteo
Sereni. The Icelandic star was involved in the second goal, helping
the ball on for Michael Ricketts, who flicked it over Sereni before
heading past Mark Venus on the line. Ipswich gave themselves hope
when Matt Holland swept home from the edge of the area after
excellent work by Peralta, however despite dominating the second
half, the equaliser wouldn't arrive.

Sunderland (0) 2 (Arca 48, Phillips 55)
Leeds United (0) 0

The last unbeaten record in England fell at the Stadium of Light as
Sunderland beat Leeds thanks to two second half goals in eight
minutes. Julio Arca crashed home the first from close range after
Nigel Martyn had only parried Kevin Kilbane's shot and then Kevin
Phillips drilled home a superb half volley from the edge of the area
after Niall Quinn had controlled the ball well on his chest. Like
Villa yesterday, Leeds blew the chance to go top, and remain second
behind Liverpool.

17 NOVEMBER 2001

Aston Villa (0) 0
Middlesbrough (0) 0

Villa missed the chance to go top of the Premiership after a drab
goalless draw at home to Middlesbrough. Juan Pablo Angel came as
close as anyone for the hosts when he hit the bar early on with a
close range volley.

Blackburn (0) 1 (Jansen 52)
Liverpool (1) 1 (Owen 30)

An early kick off for Liverpool saw them climb to the top of the
table and remain there even after the afternoon games. It took 28
minutes for a shot at goal to occur and then, just like London buses
and spiders in the bath, two come along at once as Michael Owen
opened the scoring for Liverpool on the half hour. Tugay was robbed
by Gary McAllister and there looked little danger as Steven Gerrard
floated a cross into the area. Owen however climbed well and nodded
the ball firmly past Friedel and into the bottom corner. Rovers
grabbed a well deserved equaliser early in the second half when Matt
Jansen turned well and drilled home after both Tugay and Keith
Gillespie had mis-hit their efforts.

Derby (1) 1 (Mawene 23)
Southampton (0) 0

Derby moved off the bottom of the table to be replaced by
Southampton, who they beat at Pride Park today. The only goal of a
dull match came when Southampton failed to clear a corner, the ball
was walloped high into the air by James Beattie, came down almost on
the goal-line and was helped in by Youl Mawene.

Fulham (2) 3 (Saha 20, Legwinski 28, Hayles 69)
Newcastle (0) 1 (Speed 65)
MISSED PEN : Shearer (Newcastle) 81

Fulham appear to be finding form again as Newcastle's dismal London
record continues. Former Toon striker Louis Saha fired Fulham ahead
with a stunning 25 yard curler after collecting a pass from
Legwinski and minutes later, Legwinski doubled the lead, slotting
home after Malbranque had set him up. Gary Speed pulled a goal back,
heading home from Hughes's cross, however within four minutes, Barry
Hayles netted at the far post, heading home after Malbranque's
corner got a touch at the near post. Newcastle's misery was complete
when Alan Shearer's penalty was saved on the post after Robert had
allegedly been fouled by Goma, Shearer's claims that he was fouled,
again by Goma, as he went for the rebound were waved away.

Manchester United (1) 2 (Van Nistelrooy 21, Yorke 50)
Leicester (0) 0
MISSED PEN : Izzet (Leicester) 24

Crisis? What crisis? Man United move ominously into fourth place
after a comfortable win over Leicester. Ruud van Nistelrooy headed
United ahead after a fine cross from David Beckham, however
Leicester then missed a chance to level matters when Fabien Barthez
pushed a Muzzy Izzet penalty onto the post after Benjamin had been
fouled by Blanc. Leicester claimed that Barthez was guilty of
gamesmanship when he decided to clean his boots after Izzet had
began his run up. The ball ended up in the net, but the referee
awarded a re-take, even though he'd originally given permission for
Izzet to proceed. The result was put beyond doubt when Dwight Yorke
added a second, heading into the corner from Gary Neville's cross.

Tottenham (0) 1 (Poyet 90)
Arsenal (0) 1 (Pires 81)

The return of Sol Campbell to White Hart Lane saw predictable jeers
aimed at the defender, but thankfully the action on the pitch was
worthy of discussion. Spurs had the better of the game with Les
Ferdinand having a goal disallowed and Dean Richards crashing a
header against the underside of the bar, however with just nine
minutes left, Arsenal went ahead when Robert Pires scored. He
collected the ball 25 yards out after good work from Wiltord, and
curled a beauty into the corner past Sullivan. Deep into stoppage
time, Spurs gained a deserved point when Gus Poyet volleyed home at
the far post from Rebrov's cross, however keeper Richard Wright will
be disappointed as the ball appeared to squirm out of his grasp.

Gary Dowden
Chief Editor SoccerAge UK