30 MARCH 2002

Newcastle (2) 6 (Shearer 12, Cort 15, O'Brien 59, Solano 71, 73, Bernard 88)
Everton (2) 2 (Ferguson 6, Alexandersson 34)

Newcastle consolidate their Champions League spot, with a thumping 6-2 Good
Friday win over Everton, although only late on was the destination of the
points out of doubt. The visitors took the lead when Duncan Ferguson's
speculative shot from the edge of the area looped over Shay Given, who did
manage to get a hand to the ball. Alan Shearer levelled matters when he
caught Everton cold to break clear on goal from a throw in to finish
clinically, and within three minutes, Carl Cort's excellent near post shot
from Robert's cross put the home side ahead. Nik Alexandersson equalised
when he took advantage of hesitation in the area to sneak ahead of Distin to
prod home. Andy O'Brien restored the lead on the hour when Distin's header
hit him and he reacted sharply to fire into the net from close range. Nol
Solano then took over with two in three minutes, firstly he was left with a
tap in after Kieron Dyer had broken away down the right, and with the fans
still celebrating, Jenas made a surging run through the middle, slotted
Solano in on goal and he beat Simonsen with ease. Late on, Olivier Bernard
made it six when he fired into the roof of the net after a fine run by

Leeds United (1) 3 (Viduka 19, Harte 62, Bowyer 80)
Manchester United (3) 4 (Scholes 8, Solskjaer 37, 39, Giggs 55)

Man United regained top spot after winning the noon kick off at Leeds United
with a remarkable 4-3 win, surviving a late Leeds comeback after almost
blowing a 4-1 lead. Paul Scholes gave the visitors the lead, firing home
after Silvestre had crossed, however Mark Viduka then levelled matters,
slotting home after an excellent and through ball by Lee Bowyer. Man United
then took over as Ole Gunnar Solskjaer scored from a tight angle after
Martyn had parried a Scholes shot and within two minutes, he scored again
after Giggs's shot was blocked following good work by Silvestre. Ten minutes
into the second half, Giggs made it four after David Beckham was allowed to
win over half the length of the pitch before picking the Welshman out. It
looked all over for Leeds at that time, however they had hope when Ian Harte
curled home a delightful free kick to pull a goal back. Ten minutes from
time, Robbie Keane crossed for Robbie Fowler, who should have scored,
however his sliced effort was headed home by Lee Bowyer.

Arsenal (3) 3 (Vieira 2, Bergkamp 4, Wiltord 29)
Sunderland (0) 0

Arsenal continued their surge towards the title with a comfortable win over
Sunderland. The game was as good as over inside five minutes, by which time
the Gunners were two up. Patrick Vieira got the opener, sliding it into the net at
the near post after Thirwell directed Sylvain Wiltord's cross into his path, and
then Dennis Bergkamp netted from close range after Thiery Henry volleyed
Freddie Ljungberg's cross across goal. Wiltord added a third on the half hour,
sidefooting Bergkamp's cross into the corner, to completely kill the game off.

Bolton (2) 3 (Delaney (og) 8, Bobic 40, Nolan 76)
Aston Villa (2) 2 (Warhurst (og) 15, Taylor 17)

Bolton collected three vital points to move them clear of the relegation zone,
although they had to come from behind against Aston Villa. The clubs shared
early own goals as Mark Delaney deflected in a Kevin Nolan shot to give Bolton
the lead, before Paul Warhurst blasted a George Boateng cross past his own
keeper to level matters. Minutes later, Ian Taylor headed home a corner to put
Villa ahead, however before half time, Fredi Bobic equalised, slotting in Youri
Djorkaeff's cross at the far post. The points were won late on when Nolan got on
the scoresheet himself, curling a glorious free kick into the top corner.

Chelsea (0) 2 (Terry 50, Petit 85)
Derby (0) 1 (Strupar 60)

Chelsea left it late to regain fifth place and push Derby deeper into trouble at
the bottom. Half time sub John Terry took just five minutes to put his side
ahead, powerfully heading home a corner, however on the hour, Branko Strupar
equalised, converting Warren Barton's cross. Emmanuel Petit won the game for
Chelsea with five minutes to go, bobbling a shot past a defender on the line
after an almighty scramble in the penalty area.

Leicester (1) 2 (Dickov 9, 78)
Blackburn (0) 1 (Hughes 46)

Leicester recorded only their second home win of the season, and only their
fourth overall, as Blackburn remain out of the relegation zone on goal
difference only. Paul Dickov gave the Foxes an early lead, rounding the keeper
and scoring from a tight angle, after Brian Deane had headed on a long ball.
Within a minute of the second half, veteran Mark Hughes equalised, heading in a
free kick at the far post via post and crossbar. Dickov struck again late on,
firing into the roof of the net after Robbie Savage had sent him clear, to
clinch the points for Leicester, who still look destined for the first division.

Liverpool (2) 2 (Smicer 23, Owen 36)
Charlton (0) 0

Liverpool regained top spot after barely needing to get out of second gear
against Charlton. Vladimir Smicer scored his second goal in as many games,
powerfully heading home a Sami Hyypia free kick, before Michael Owen, back
from injury, doubled the lead from close range after Smicer had sidefooted
Nik Anelka's cross goalwards.

Southampton (1) 1 (Delap 22)
Fulham (1) 1 (Marlet 7)

Honours even at St Mary's, leaving both clubs needing a couple more points for
Premiership safety. Steve Marlet gave Fulham an early lead, slotting into an
empty net after keeper Paul Jones made a hash of collecting a long through ball,
however Rory Delap grabbed a superb equaliser, firing into the top corner after
being sent clear on the right.

West Ham (1) 3 (Lomas 36, Di Canio 74, Defoe 86)
Ipswich (0) 1 (Bent (M) 71)

West Ham are all but safe after beating Ipswich, who remain in the bottom three
of the table. Steve Lomas headed West Ham ahead, beating Sereni to the ball
from a Paolo di Canio cross. Marcus Bent equalised, slotting Marcus Stewart's
tap back into the corner after a scramble in the area, however within three
minutes, Di Canio restored the lead, volleying into the net after his original
long range effort was parried by Sereni. Jermaine Defoe clinched the points
late on, finding the corner from the edge of the area, with Di Canio again the

Middlesbrough (0) 1 (Queudrue 69)
Spurs (1) 1 (Iversen 32)

Honours even at the Riverside as Middlesbrough came from behind to earn a
point. Spurs went ahead when Matthew Etherington's near post cross deceived
attackers and defenders alike and fell to Steffen Iversen at the far post to fire
into the net via the legs of keeper Mark Crossley, however Franck Queudrue
Boro level when he curled a delightful 20 yard free kick into the bottom

Gary Dowden
Chief Editor SoccerAge UK