8 MAY 2002

Man United (0) 0
Arsenal (0) 1 (Wiltord 57)

Arsenal clinched the Premiership title with a narrow and hard fought victory
away against the only team that could stop them from winning the league -
Man United. The only goal came as Freddie Ljungberg was sent clear down
the right and although his effort was parried by Fabien Barthez, Sylvain
Wiltord was following up to fire home the rebound.

Liverpool (2) 4 (Murphy 23, Anelka 39, Hyypia 52, Heskey 86)
Blackburn (1) 3 (Duff 29, Cole 49, Jansen 80)

Liverpool move into second place after a late Emile Heskey goal clinched a
seven goal thriller against Blackburn, who came from behind on three separate
occasions. The fun began midway through the first half when Danny Murphy
scrambled home John Arne Riise's cross, despite slipping having controlled the
ball, however six minutes later Damien Duff equalised after some superb
one-touch passing from Rovers in and around the area. Nik Anelka restored the
lead just before half time, slotting pas Alan Kelly after a good run on the edge
of the box, after Riise had again set him up, however early in the second half,
Andy Cole levelled again for the visitors, heading in at the far post after good
work from Lucas Neill. Within three minutes, Liverpool were back in the lead
thanks to Sami Hyypia's glancing header from Murphy's free kick. With ten
minutes left, Blackburn levelled again, Matt Jansen tapping in at the far post
from Keith Gillespie's cross. The winner arrived with four minutes remaining as
Emile Heskey collected a pass from Jamie Carragher, twisted past his man and
found the bottom corner.

29 APRIL 2002

Bolton (0) 0
Arsenal (2) 2 (Ljungberg 36, Wiltord 44)

Arsenal inched closer to the title with a comfortable victory at the Reebok
stadium. They took the lead when Dennis Bergkamp slotted Freddie Ljungberg
through and the Swede drilled home off the foot of the post and the lead was
doubled minutes later when Bergkamp again broke the offside trap, this time
slotting through for Sylvain Wiltord to finish well through the legs of
Jaaskelainen. After Saturday's FA Cup Final, Arsenal face Man United at Old
Trafford, knowing that avoiding defeat will clinch the Premiership title.
Meanwhile, Liverpool are now out of the race and are left to reflect on what
might have been.

28 APRIL 2002

Everton (0) 1 (Chadwick 50)
Blackburn (1) 2 (Jansen 10, Cole 63)

Everton lost their first home game under David Moyes as Blackburn thoroughly
deserved their victory. Matt Jansen took advantage of poor marking and headed
home a David Dunn cross from close range to give the visitors the lead, however
a cheeky backheel from Nick Chadwick after a David Weir header levelled the
scores. Blackburn clinched victory when Damien Duff's stinging free kick was
saved by Paul Gerrard, however Andy Cole was sharpest to the rebound and
nodded in.

27 APRIL 2002

Tottenham (1) 1 (Poyet 41)
Liverpool (0) 0

Liverpool's title chances took a massive dent as they lost the early kick off at
Spurs. The only goal came just before half time when Darren Anderton's cross
was miscontrolled at the far post by Simon Davies, however it fell perfectly for
the unmarked Gus Poyet who drilled his effort in. Should Arsenal win at Bolton
on Monday, then Liverpool are out of the race.

Aston Villa (2) 2 (Vassell 8, 42)
Southampton (0) 1 (Beattie 52)

Villa won only their second game under Graham Taylor, although they survived a
decent second half comeback from Southampton. Darius Vassell scored twice
before half time, firstly heading in Thomas Hitzslesperger's cross and then firing
home from the edge of the area with a terrific volley. James Beattie pulled one
back just after the break, sliding in at the far post to convert Brett Omerod's
cross, but it wasn't quite enough.

Charlton (1) 2 (Euell 2, Lisbie 81)
Sunderland (2) 2 (Kilbane 3, Phillips 11)

Kevin Lisbie's late equaliser for Charlton left Sunderland needing a point from
their final game at home to Derby to assure their survival in the Premiership.
The game exploded early on with three goals in the opening eleven minutes.
Jason Euell gave Charlton an early lead, volleying home Jonaton Johanssen's
near post cross, however within a minute Kevin Kilbane equalised, slotting
past Kiely having been sent clear on goal, and then Kevin Phillips gave
Sunderland the advantage, crashing home a header from Jason McAteer's
free kick. Lisbie then struck late on with an overhead effort at the far post
after Graham Stuart's cross wasn't cleared by the away defence.

Derby (0) 0
Leeds (1) 1 (Bowyer 17)

Derby's last Prem game at home led to defeat as Leeds ended their poor recent
run. Lee Bowyer scored the only goal, chipping over Poom having been sent clear
by Alan Smith's overhead kick.

Fulham (0) 0
Leicester (0) 0

No goals in the last game at Craven Cottage for two years in what was a poor
game. Sylvain Legwinski came the closest but his effort fizzed just wide of the

Middlesbrough (0) 0
Chelsea (2) 2 (Cole 38, Zenden 43)

Two goals in five minutes before the break gave Chelsea all three points at the
Riverside. Carlton Cole, in for Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink who was injured in the
warm up, gave Chelsea the lead when he headed home Emmanuel Petit's free
kick and Boudewijn Zenden made sure of the points, latching onto Petit's pass
before driving past Schwarzer with a help of a deflection.

Newcastle (1) 3 (Shearer 41, Lua-Lua 53, Robert 66)
West Ham (1) 1 (Defoe 20)

Newcastle came from behind to beat West Ham and consolidate fourth place.
Jermaine Defoe gave the visitors the lead, blasting into the net after Freddie
Kanoute's header sent him clear, however Alan Shearer levelled matters by half
time, latching onto a Kieron Dyer through ball to drive home. Lomana Lua-Lua
then put Newcastle ahead, tapping past James after the keeper saved well from
Laurent Robert, before Robert himself made sure of the points from close range
after his original lob had hit the post.

Ipswich (0) 0
Man United (1) 1 (Van Nistelrooy (pen) 45)

Man United move to within three points of Arsenal, who have a game in hand,
courtesy of a borderline penalty decision in first half stoppage time. Titus
Bramble was judged to have pushed Ruud van Nistelrooy in the back, although
replays should very minimal contact, however the Dutchman picked himself up
to blast in the spot kick.

Gary Dowden
Chief Editor SoccerAge UK