11 MAY 2002

Arsenal (2) 4 (Bergkamp 4, Henry 33, 72, Jeffers 83)
Everton (2) 3 (Carsley 20, Radzinski 31, Watson 88)

Arsenal ended their double winning season with a tight victory over Everton in a
game littered with defensive errors. The Gunners took an early lead when Ashley
Cole robbed Alan Stubbs to set up Dennis Bergkamp for a tap in, however after
Igor Stepanovs lost possession on the left, Tomasz Radzinski found Lee Carlsey
who fired home. Ten minutes later, Radzinski got onto the scoresheet himself,
clipped past Wright after a good run from the half way line, however two minutes
later, Thierry Henry levelled matters after Bergkamp had handed him the
opportunity. Henry then score again with eighteen minutes to go, a goal which
made him leading Prem scorer for the season, slotting home after a fine through
ball from Gilles Grimandi, and after he missed a sitter, Francis Jeffers scored
against his former club, heading in at the far post after Henry had crossed.
Steve Watson pulled one back late on, blasting home from the edge of the area
from Mark Pembridge's pass, but it was too little too late for Everton.

Blackburn (0) 3 (Cole 53, 81, Duff 66)
Fulham (0) 0

One-time relegation battles Blackburn end the season in the top half after a
comprehensive victory over Fulham. England reject Andy Cole scored twice, the
first being a strange affair after he dispossessed Fulham keeper Maik Taylor and
regained his footing to tap into the empty net. Damien Duff added the second,
firing into the bottom corner after Matt Jansen has set him up. Cole scored the
third after a fine solo run and delightful prodded finish.

Chelsea (0) 1 (Gudjohnsen (pen) 70)
Aston Villa (1) 3 (Crouch 21, Vassell 63, Dublin 88)

Aston Villa ended their season with a fine win at Chelsea, who slipped to sixth
place. Peter Crouch opened the scoring, heading in Steve Stone's corner, and
then Darius Vassell doubled the lead, volleying in at the far post with Stone
again the provider. Eidur Gudjohnsen pulled one back from the penalty spot after
Sam Dalla Bona was held back by Delaney. However, late on, Dion Dublin made
it 3-1 with a simple header after Alan Wright had cracked a shot against the bar.

Leeds United (0) 1 (Smith 63)
Middlesbrough (0) 0

Leeds finished in fifth place with a final day win over Middlesbrough. Alan
Smith grabbed the winner after being sent clear by Robbie Keane.

Leicester (0) 2 (Dickov 60, Piper 71)
Tottenham (0) 1 (Sheringham (pen) 54)

Leicester ended a drab season by coming from behind to beat Spurs in the last
ever game at Filbert Street. Spurs took the lead when Ian Marshall tripped
Steven Clemence in the area, leaving Teddy Sheringham to convert the penalty,
however Paul Dickov equalised, blasting into the net after Chris Perry had
denied Marshall with a good tackle. Matthew Piper won the game with his first
goal for the club, heading in from close range after Spurs failed to deal with
an Alan Rogers throw.

Liverpool (2) 5 (Riise 13, 35, Owen 46, Smicer 57, Anelka 88)
Ipswich (0) 0

Liverpool clinched second place and sent Ipswich down after a drubbing at
Anfield. Two cracking goals from John Arne Riise began the rout, firstly when he
cracked his shot firmly home after collecting Abel Xavier's pass and then did
similar from the left edge of the area after a fine solo run from Vladimir
Smicer. Michael Owen added a third early in the second half, latching onto a
double mistake from Titus Bramble, before Smicer got into the act himself,
beating two men cutting in from the right before prodding into the net. Nik
Anelka added the final touch late on, making no mistake having been sent clear
by Owen.

Manchester United (0) 0
Charlton (0) 0

Man United finish in third, their worst position in eleven years, after their
first goalless league game in 115 games, dating back almost exactly three years
to the day. Roy Keane and Diego Forlan missed good chances for United, whilst
Jason Euell and Kevin Lisbie also came close for the visitors.

Southampton (2) 3 (Svensson 17, Beattie (pen) 24, Telfer 90)
Newcastle (0) 1 (Shearer 55)
RED CARD: El Khalej (Southampton) 61

Southampton ended the campaign on a high with a win over fourth placed
Newcastle, however the game was over-shadowed by an awful knee high tackle
by Tahar El-Khalej on Kieron Dyer which earned the Saints man a red card, and
put Dyer's World Cup chances on the line. Matt Svensson gave the hosts the
lead after good work from Parian Pahars, before James Beattie doubled the
lead from the penalty spot after Brett Omerod had been tripped by Shay Given.
Alan Shearer pulled a goal back, tapping in after the keeper had only parried
earlier shot, however in the final seconds, Paul Telfer clinched the points with
a thirty yard lob after Beattie had sent him clear.

Sunderland (1) 1 (Phillips 17)
Derby (0) 1 (Robinson 68)

Sunderland earned the point they needed to stay up against Derby, although
they would have been saved anyway due to Ipswich getting walloped at
Liverpool. Kevin Phillips ended a disappointing season with a goal, tapping
in after Warren Barton got in a mess with his own keeper, having blocked
Phillips' first effort. Marvin Robinson equalised in the second half, tapping in
after good work on the left.

West Ham (1) 2 (Lomas 45, Pearce 89)
Bolton (0) 1 (Djorkaeff 67)

West Ham clinched a seventh place finish thanks to a last gasp win over Bolton.
Steve Lomas opened the scoring on the stroke of half time, blasting home after
Jaaskelainen had saved well from Jermaine Defoe, however Youri Djorkaeff
levelled matters when his free kick found the net via a deflection and the hands
of David James. Victory was secured for the Hammers late on when Ian Pearce
headed home a corner.

Gary Dowden
Chief Editor SoccerAge UK