7 OCTOBER 2002

Manchester United (0) 3 (Scholes 86, 90, Van Nistelrooy (pen) 89)
Everton (0) 0
RED CARD: Weir (88)

Man United found a late goal blitz to see off Everton, although the three
goal margin was harsh on Everton. Paul Scholes scored the opener, firing in
from eight yards after Ryan Giggs' cross was only partially cleared. David
Weir was then sent off for pulling back Ole Gunnar Solskjaer in the area,
leaving Ruud van Nistelrooy to blast home the penalty. In stoppage time,
Scholes added a third with a bullet shot from the edge of the area which
crashed in off the bar.

6 OCTOBER 2002

Arsenal (3) 3 (Kanu 3, 9, Vieira 45)
Sunderland (0) 1 (Craddock 84)

Arsenal swept Sunderland aside to beat Manchester United's Premiership
record of 29 consecutive games unbeaten. Nwanko Kanu scored twice in the
opening nine minutes to effectively clinch the points. His first came after
Thomas Sorensen only parried a corner away and the Nigerian tapped in the
rebound and then he headed home at the far post from Ashley Cole's cross. On
half time, Patrick Vieira made it three after sub keeper Thomas Myhre saved
well from Sylvain Wiltord, only for Vieira to head in the rebound. Jody
Craddock found a diving header from Kevin Kilbane's cross late on, but it
was too little too late.

Aston Villa (0) 0
Leeds United (0) 0

No goals at Villa Park in a game which saw the home side create the best of
the chances.

Blackburn (0) 1 (Ostenstad 59)
Spurs (1) 2 (Keane 5, Redknapp 89)

Spurs left it late to see off Blackburn and make up for their Worthington
Cup Final defeat last season. Robbie Keane opened the scoring, and his Spurs
account, with a fine solo run at the home defence before firing into the top
corner, however sub Egil Ostenstad equalised, latching onto a flick from
David Dunn to blast past Keller as the keeper came off his line. Spurs won
it in the final minute when Jamie Redknapp looped his mis-hit shot into the
corner from Stefan Iversen's cross.

Fulham (1) 1 (Sava 35)
Charlton (0) 0

Fulham's excellent start continued with a tight win in the London derby. The
only came came from Facundo Sava, latching onto the ball after Dean Kiely
failed to hold a shot from Steed Malbranque.

Liverpool (0) 1 (Owen 90)
Chelsea (0) 0

Liverpool left it late to see off Chelsea who more than held their own for
the majority of the game. A fluke ricochet sent Emile Heskey through on goal
and although his effort was tipped onto the post from Carlo Cudicini,
Michael Owen was following up to blast in from close range.

5 OCTOBER 2002

Middlesbrough (1) 2 (Ehiogu 24, Geremi 67)
Bolton (0) 0

Middlesbrough consolidate third division with a comfortable win over
struggling Bolton. Ugo Ehiogu gave the hosts the lead with a thumping header
from a corner, and victory was confirmed midway through the second half when
Geremi had all the time in the world after beating the offside trap from Job's
pass to slot home.

Newcastle (1) 2 (Shearer 45, 69)
West Brom (1) 1 (Balis 29)

Newcastle came from behind to beat a resolute West Brom side at St James
Park. Igor Balis fired the Baggies ahead at the near post after Jason
Roberts was tackled in the area, however two from Alan Shearer reversed the
scoreline, firstly when he rifled inside the near post after Nol Solano
rolled a free kick to him from just eight yards out, and then again from
close range when Solano headed back Gary Speed's deep cross.

Southampton (2) 2 (Ormerod 1, 43)
Manchester City (0) 0
RED CARD: Pahars (Southampton) 86

Southampton's decent home form and Man City's poor away form both continued
as two Brett Ormerod goals saw off Kevin Keegan's side. It was never in
doubt after he headed home a Wayne Bridge cross after just 45 seconds. He
doubled the lead, and his tally, near half time when he latched onto a
through ball from Bridge and then clipped in after Schmeichel had saved his
original effort. The only black mark was a second yellow, and subsequent
red, card for sub Marion Pahars, sent off for diving.

West Ham (1) 1 (Cole 17)
Birmingham (2) 2 (John 4, 43)

West Ham stay rooted at the bottom as Birmingham regain their form with a
fine win. Stern John scored twice, firstly with a fine solo effort after
cutting in from the right, and then later in the half, turning in the area
from Stan Lazaridis' cross and then firing into the bottom corner. Joe Cole
did equalise the first effort, chipping in from a tight angle after Paolo di
Canio had set him up, however they couldn't do it again and fell to defeat.

Gary Dowden
Chief Editor SoccerAge UK