15 September 2003

Leicester (2) 4 (Nalis 20, Dickov 23, 82, Scowcroft 90)
Leeds United (0) 0

Leicester move above Leeds in mid-table on goal difference after demolishing
their Yorkshire opponents 4-0 to record their first Premiership win at the
Walkers stadium. The first goal came from the unlikely source of Lilian
Nalis, who latched onto a clearing defensive header and cracked a brilliant
25-yard volley past a helpless Paul Robinson, a strike reminisant of Tony
Yeboah at his best. Leeds had barely recovered when the lead was doubled as
a long ball was headed on by Marcus Bent for Paul Dickov to control, turn
and shoot past the keeper into the bottom corner. More could, and perhaps
should, have followed, however with eight minutes left, Dickov turned Lucas
Radebe on the edge of the area before curling a beauty into the bottom
corner. The agony didnt end there for Leeds as Scowcroft was left unmarked
to head home a fourth in the final minute from a Muzzy Izzet cross.

14 September 2003

Man City (0) 4 (Anelka (pen) 48, (pen) 68, 83, Tarnet 50)
Aston Villa (1) 1 (Angel 31)

Nicolas Anelka scored a second half hat trick, including two penalties, as
Man City came from behind to destroy Aston Villa 4-1, their first league win
at the City of Manchester stadium. Villa took the lead on the half hour when
Juan Pablo Angel was left unmarked to nod home Lee Hendrie's cross, although
the Columbian did look a yard offside. Things changed dramatically after
half time as debutant Steve McManaman broke into the area and was halted by
a handball from Mark Delaney. The referee originally failed to award a
penalty and then changed his mind, allowing Anelka to fire into the bottom
corner from the spot. Two minutes later, a City free kick on the left-hand
corner of the area was sized up by Michael Tarnet who then belted the ball
briliantly into the top corner, although keeper Thomas Sorenson will be
disappointed as it appeared to go through his hands. City were well on top
now and increased their lead when Sun Jihai was tripped in the area by Peter
Whittingham, Anelka this time cracking the penalty into the top corner,
although Sorenson did get his hands to it. A fourth goal was seemingly
inevitable and it duly arrived with seven minutes remaining as Anelka
completed his hat trick from the edge of the area.

Birmingham (1) 2 (Forsell 45, 82)
Fulham (1) 2 (Saha 1, Boa Morte 78)
RED CARDS : Legwinski (Fulham) 60, Purse (Birmingham) 83

Mikael Forsell scored twice for Birmingham as they twice came from behind to
earn a draw against Fulham in an eventful game which ended with both clubs
down to ten men. The drama began inside the opening minute as Fulham took
the lead after just 37 seconds. Louis Saha was the scorer as he latched onto
a long ball from Bonnissel, rounded keeper Maik Taylor, ironically on loan
from Fulham, and then found the net with the inside of his right foot.
Birmingham were rattled for a while but battled back as David Dunn, Stern
John and Darren Purse all came close before the equaliser arrived in first
half stoppage time. Damien Johnson headed a pass back into the area and as
it looped over his marker, Forsell controlled well and drilled under Edwin
Van Der Sar. On the hourm Slyvain Legwinski tripped Dunn in full flow and
was shown a second yellow, and suubsequent red, card. Despite their
numerical advantage, the hosts failed to capitalise and went behind again
with twelve minutes left. Boa Morte challenged Taylor for a high ball and as
it dropped from the keeper's hands, the striker was on hand to send an
effort over his own head and bobbling over the line, despite protests from
the Birmingham players. The lead lasted four minutes as Robbie Savage drove
a free kick into the area for Matthew Upson to head powerfully at goal. Van
Der Sar reactly brilliantly to keep the effort out, however Forsell was
quickly on hand to tap in. However, as Boa Morte retrieved the ball from the
net and carried it back towards the halfway line, Purse's attempt to punch
the ball from his grasp resulted in the pair falling to the floor and the
Birmingham defender was shown a red card.

13 September 2003

Arsenal (1) 1 (Henry (pen) 40)
Portsmouth (1) 1 (Sheringham 26)

Arsenal's 100% record came to an end against Portsmouth, who themselves
remain unbeaten in their first Prem season. The visitors took a shock lead
when Teddy Sheringham proved again that he still has what it takes as he
thundered a diving header into the net from Steve Stone's near post cross.
The Gunners equalised when Robert Pires was tripped by Dejan Stefanovic in
the area, although the Arsenal man appaered to move his leg toward that of
his opponent in order to make certain of contact. Thierry Henry converted
the penalty twice after his original effort was ordered to be re-taken due
to encrochment.

Blackburn (1) 1 (Jansen 8)
Liverpool (1) 3 (Owen (pen) 12, 68, Kewell 90)
RED CARD : Neill (Blackburn) 13

Liverpool collected their second away win on the bounce, however victory at
Blackburn came at a cost as both Milan Baros and Jamie Carragher picked up
serious injuries. Baros had already gone off when Rovers took the lead, Matt
Jansen twisting Carragher inside-out before firing in from the edge of the
area after Andy Cole had headed on a long ball. Liverpool levelled matters
from the penalty spot, Michael Owen scoring after El-Hadji Diouf was fouled
by Gresko. A minute later, Lucas Neill was shown a straight red card for a
high, studs first, tackle on Carragher, resulting in a fractured leg for the
Liverpool man. Midway through the second half, Owen scored again, blasting
into the corner after Vladimir Smicer held the ball up in the area and it
was Smicer again to turn provider in stoppage time, this time setting up
Harry Kewell to fire in from the edge of the area.

Bolton (1) 2 (Davies 23, N'Gotty 81)
Middlesbrough (0) 0

Bolton collected their first win of the season at the expense of
Middlesbrough, who are only off the bottom due to Wolves having a worse
start. Kevin Davies, enjoying a new lease of life at the Reebok, headed in a
corner from Stelios to open the scoring and the points were secured when
Bruno N'Gotty headed in at the far post after a looped cross again from

Charlton (0) 0
Man United (0) 2 (Van Nistelrooy 62, 81)
RED CARD : Euell (Charlton) 66

Man United moved to within a point of Arsenal after a comfortable win over
ten man Charlton. United took over an hour to break through but eventually
Ruud Van Nistelrooy drilled in from close range after both Ryan Giggs and
Gary Neville had shots blocked. Jason Euell then caught Neville late,
resulting in a second yellow card for the striker and late on, Van
Nistelrooy added his second from close range after Giggs had crossed.

Chelsea (2) 4 (Lampard 35, Mutu 37, 75, Hasselbaink 90)
Spurs (1) 2 (Kanoute 25, 87)

Chelsea's all stars needed a kick start against Spurs, but eventually ran
out comfortable winners against a side who've not beaten them in the league
since 1990. That remarkable record looked in danger when Freddie Kanoute
controlled a Darren Anderton cross before prodding under Carlo Cudicini and
into the net, however two goals in three minutes put Chelsea back in
command. Firstly, Frank Lampard equalised with a far post header from Jesper
Gronkjaer's cross and then Adrian Mutu continued his good start at Stamford
Bridge when he was sent clear by Damien Duff to slot home. Mutu then doubled
his tally and the lead with another cool finish having been sent clear by
Joe Cole and although Kanoute pulled a goal back from close ranger after
Dean Richards had hit the post, the points were clinched in stoppage time
when Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink tap in a Celestine Babayaro cross.

Everton (0) 2 (Radzinski 67, Ferguson (pen) 88
Newcastle (0) 2 (Shearer (pen) 59, (pen) 82)
RED CARDS : Robert (Newcastle) 41, Naysmith (Everton) 58

Ten yellow cards, three penalties, two red cards (and a partridge in a pear
tree!) at Goodison Park as Newcastle still look for the first league win of
the season. Laurent Robert was the first to see red as he was shown a second
yellow card shortly before half time for clattering into the back of Francis
Jeffers, however it was levelled up when Gary Naysmith was judged to have
been the last man when he brought down Kieron Dyer and he was barely off the
pitch when Alan Shearer netted from the spot. The home side equalised when
Tomasz Radzinski's mis-hit shot found the corner after a scramble, however
Newcastle regained the lead with another Shearer penalty after Joseph Yobo
fouled Oliver Bernard. Everton never gave up and earned a point with a
penalty of their own, belted in by Duncan Ferguson after Jermaine Jenas had
fouled Radzinski.

Southampton (1) 2 (Beattie (pen) 37, 52)
Wolves (0) 0

Southampton's good start continued as Wolves again struggle to find their
feet. James Beattie scored both goals, firstly from the penalty spot after
Denis Irwin was judged to have fouled Kevin Phillips, even though contact
was outside of the area and the Saints striker seemed to fall a good couple
of seconds late! No doubts about the second though as Phillips set up
Beattie to fire through the hands of Michael Oakes.

Gary Dowden
Chief Editor SoccerAge UK

Gary Dowden - Joint Admin Topica Premier-L list
Leeds United and Scotland and proud of it
The Unofficial Premiership Site