15 August 2007

READING 1 (Bikey 30)
CHELSEA 2 (Lampard 47, Drogba 50)

Chelsea came from behind at Reading to record their second win in as many games. Chelsea keeper Petr Cech was at fault for the opener as he failed to battle through his own defenders and collected a looping header from Ivar Ingimarsson, allowing Andre Bikey - on as a sub seconds earlier - the easiest of tap ins. Two goals in the opening five minutes of the second half won it for Chelsea as Frank Lampard burst through to score after collecting a pass from Didier Drogba and then Drogba got in on the act with a 25 yard shot after being found by Salomon Kalou. Reading had Kalifa Cisse red carded late on for a stamp on Claudio Pizarro.

Attendance : 24,031
Red Card : Cisse 72 (Reading)
Assists : Ingimarsson, Drogba, Kalou

WIGAN 1 (Sibierski 55)

Wigan recorded their first win of the season at the expense of Middlesbrough who remain without a point after the opening two games. After an uneventful first half, Wigan took the lead early in the second half as a long range effort from Antonio Valencia wasn't held by Mark Schwarzer and although the ball only squirmed slightly away from him, in nipped Antoine Sibierski to bundle it in from a matter of yards. Minutes later Boro were almost level when Stuart Downing smashed a stinging effort against the post.

Attendance : 14,007
Assist : n/a

BIRMINGHAM 2 (McShane 28 og, O'Connor 82)
SUNDERLAND 2 (Chopra 75, John 92)

Sunderland twice came from behind to earn a draw at Birmingham. The hosts went ahead when Stephen Kelly's far post header was deflected into his own net by Paul McShane and it stayed that way until the 75th minute when Michael Chopra latched onto a header by Dickson Etuhu to smash the ball home. Birmingham regained the lead with eight minutes remaining as Mikael Forsell's pass found Gary O'Connor to cut inside and drill a shot inside the far post, however Sunderland snatched a late point when keeper Colin Doyle made a stunning save from Ross Wallace's deflected free kick only for Stern John to nod home following the resulting scramble.

Attendance : 24,898
Assists : n/a, Etuhu, Forssell, Nosworthy

FULHAM 2 (Healy 23, Cid 26 og)
BOLTON 1 (Helguson 12)

Bolton are still pointless under new boss Sammy Lee despite being gifted an early lead at Fulham. Home keeper Tony Warner collected a cross comfortably, however in soaking wet conditions he seemed to allow it to slip from his grasp and Heidar Helguson pounced to tap in. Fulham were level when Zat Knight's header wasn't cleared and David Healy thumped home his second of the season and three minutes later, Alexei Smertin's long range shot took a wicked deflection and found the net after a cross from Simon Davies was cleared.

Attendance : 21,102
Assists : n/a, n/a, n/a

MANCHESTER CITY 1 (Johnson 43)

Two wins from two and no goals conceded for Man City as the Eriksson reign is off to a flyer. Despite the influx of overseas players this summer, it was Englishman Michael Johnson who scored the stunning winner to see off Derby as he played a neat one-two with Elano before curling in a beauty from the edge of the area.

Attendance : 43,620
Assist : Elano

PORTSMOUTH 1 (Benjani 53)

Champions Man United remain unbeaten but are still yet to win a game as they were held in a fiery clash at Portsmouth. United had the better of things and went ahead when debutant Carlos Tevez set up Paul Scholes for a trademark shot from 20 yards. Pompey were level early in the second half thanks to a thumping header from Benjani following a cross by Matt Taylor. Both teams were reduced to ten men late on as Sully Muntari walked for the home side after catching Michael Carrick late and two minutes later, Cristiano Ronaldo head butted Richard Hughes after the usual pushing and shoving prior to a corner. There was only minimal contact and Hughes didn't make a meal of it, however the intent was there and it was right in front of the referee.

Attendance : 20,510
Red Cards : Muntari 83 (Portsmouth), Ronaldo 85 (Manchester United)
Assists : Tevez, Taylor

14 August 2007

TOTTENHAM 1 (Gardner 26)
EVERTON 3 (Lescott 3, Osman 37, Zokora 45 og)

Everton recorded their second win in a row at the start of the season after a first half goal blitz at Spurs. Everton took an early lead when Joleon Lescott was on hand at the far post to nod in a cross from Mikel Arteta and later in the half, the Spaniard was the provider again as his chipped cross was partially cleared by Ricardo Rocha only for it to fall nicely for Leon Osman who controlled and poked the ball into the roof of the net from close range. Between the goals, Spurs had equaliser when Anthony Gardner headed in a corner from Jermaine Jenas, however on the stroke of half time a fizzed free kick from Alan Stubbs from 25 yards clipped off of the edge of the wall to leave keeper Paul Robinson flat-footed as it found the bottom corner. Dimitar Berbatov hammered a header against the post early in the second half but Spurs were to come no closer as they slumped to a second successive defeat.

Attendance : 35,716
Assists : Arteta (fk), Jenas (ck), n/a, n/a

Gary Dowden - Joint Admin Topica Premier-L list
Leeds United and Scotland and proud of it
The Unofficial Premiership Site