5 October 2008

WEST HAM 1 (Cole 69)
BOLTON 3 (Davies 30, Cahill 34, Taylor 86 fk)

Bolton won in London for the first time in three years after winning at West Ham. Bolton took the lead on the half hour when a long ball into the area tempted keeper Robert Green to the edge of the box to collected. He dropped what should have been a routine catch and the wet ball fell for Kevin Davies who, on the stretch, managed to loop it into the inviting net. The lead was doubled four minutes later as a header from Davies was drilled goalwards by Gretar Steinsson and although Green saved it, the ball rebounded nicely for Gary Cahill to net the second. The hosts pulled one back in the second half when Matthew Upson nodded a corner back across goal for Carlton Cole to head in, however with four minutes to go, Green was perhaps at fault again as Matt Taylor's drilled free kick from 30 yards flew past everyone and flew low into the net.

Attendance : 33,715
Assists : n/a, n/a, Etherington, Steinsson (won fk)

PORTSMOUTH 2 (Crouch 25, Defoe 51)
STOKE 1 (Fuller 48)

Portsmouth's recent good run continued with a narrow home win against struggling Stoke. The home side went ahead with a superb overhead kick by Peter Crouch from Jermain Defoe's cross. Crouch has scored similar goals before although it should almost be impossible for someone of his height to be so athletic! Stoke levelled in traditional style as Rory Delap's long throw was nodded on by Dave Kitson and headed in at the far post by Ricardo Fuller. Defoe netted the winner himself as he collected a pass from Nadir Belhadj and after a solo run, fired a low shot inside the near post.

Attendance : 19,248
Assists : Defoe, Kitson, Belhadj

HULL 1 (Geovanni 9 fk)

Hull won in North London for the second time in eight days and condemned Spurs to their worst start to a season for 96 years. The only goal came early as Geovanni curled in a brilliant 30 yard free kick which found the top corner superbly. Spurs had chances but lacked that cutting edge which is no surprise considering the strikers that left the club during the summer.

Attendance : 36,062
Assist : King (won fk)

CHELSEA 2 (J Cole 21, Anelka 44)

Chelsea remain top after a comfortable win at home to Aston Villa. The hosts dominated the first half and had the points wrapped up by the interval. A fine move saw Frank Lampard play in Joe Cole to smash the ball in from 12 yards and then Ashley Cole's cross was fired goalwards by Michael Ballack only for Brad Friedel to make a good save before doing similar from the rebound as Nik Anelka looked to tap in, however it was third time lucky as Anelka followed up his own effort to double the lead.

Attendance : 41,593
Assists : Lampard, n/a

MANCHESTER CITY 2 (Ireland 19, Garrido 41)
LIVERPOOL 3 (Torres 55, Torres 73, Kuyt 92)

Liverpool stay second after a sensational comeback at Man City saw them come from two down to win. City were in dreamland by half time as they sailed into a two goal lead. A good run by Shaun Wright-Phillips set up the first as his cross wasn't controlled properly by Robinho however despite being on the floor he prodded the ball to Stephen Ireland who walloped in a spectacular volley. Javier Garrido then doubled the lead with an excellent curling free kick into the corner giving the keeper no chance. The comeback began ten minutes after the break when Alvaro Arbeloa crossed for Fernando Torres to scramble the ball in and Torres netted again with a near post header from a Steven Gerrard corner to equalise. Between his brace, City were reduced to ten men when Pablo Zabaleta caught Xabi Alonso with a studs first challenge although Liverpool also ended with ten men when Martin Skrtel was stretchered off after they'd used all their subs. The winner came two minutes into stoppage time as a shot from Torres was blocked however Dirk Kuyt was on hand to fire in from close range.

Attendance : 47,280
Red Card : Zabaleta 67 (Manchester City)
Assists : n/a, Wright-Phillips (won fk), Arbeloa, Gerrard (ck), Keane

EVERTON 2 (Arteta 17 Pen, Fellaini 35)
NEWCASTLE 2 (Taylor 45, Duff 47)

Crisis club Newcastle earned some major brownie points at Everton as they came from two goals down to earn a creditable point. Everton eased the weight off of their shoulders with help from Nicky Butt whose challenge on Leighton Baines in the area was slightly late but certainly a penalty, converted calmly by Mikael Arteta. Newcastle's luck seemed to be well and truly out as within five minutes they could have levelled only for Damien Duff to be denied by the keeper, Danny Guthrie's shot was the rebound was blocked and then Steven Taylor fired against Baines on the line. Everton took full advantage and doubled the lead when a near post cross from Baines was volleyed in off the bar by Marouane Fellaini. To their credit, Newcastle didn't let their heads drop and pulled a goal back in first half stoppage time when Geremi's deep cross was powerfully headed in by Taylor to give the visitors some hope and that was converted to reality within a minute of the second half when Taylor broke the offside trap on the right and his low cross was tapped in by Duff. Both clubs had chances to win it as Baines again cleared off the line, this time from Charles N'Zogbia whilst Victor Anichebe curled a effort inches wide late on.

Attendance : 33,805
Assists : Baines (won pen), Baines, Geremi, Taylor

4 October 2008

WEST BROM 1 (Bednar 61)

West Brom move into the top half after a narrow win over Fulham. The only goal was a scrambled effort after Fulham failed to clear a corner from Iglesias Borja Valero and after Ryan Donk's effort was blocked Roman Bednar netted from close range.

Attendance : 25,708
Assist : n/a

MIDDLESBROUGH 1 (Aliadiere 89)

Middlesbrough earned their first away points of the season and first away league win in 2008 with victory at Wigan. They left it late as Stuart Downing's neat header found Jeremie Aliadiere on the edge of the box to slot into the bottom corner.

Attendance : 16,806
Assist : Downing

SUNDERLAND 1 (Leadbitter 86)
ARSENAL 1 (Fabregas 93)

Arsenal used their 'get out of jail free' card with a last minute equaliser at Sunderland and avoid successive league defeats. The Gunners felt hard done by when Robin Van Persie's close range finish was disallowed due to Theo Walcott crossing after the ball had gone out of play. Replays proved inconclusive but it was tight. Sunderland left it late to go ahead as Kieran Richardson found Grant Leadbitter 25 yards out and he turned a fired a brilliant shot over the keeper and in off the underside of the bar. The Gunners levelled in the third minute of injury time as Cesc Fabregas headed in a Van Persie corner from at the near post.

Attendance : 40,199
Assist : n/a, Van Persie (ck)

MANCHESTER UNITED 2 (Brown 31, Rooney 64)

Man United move into the top six with a comfortable win at Blackburn. Played in persistent heavy rain, United were never in danger after taking the lead on the half hour when Wes Brown headed in at the far post from Wayne Rooney's cross although the hosts claimed that keeper Jason Brown was fouled during the ball being flighted into the area. United doubled the lead when Cristiano Ronaldo skinned his marker on the right and found Rooney to finish superbly from 15 yards. More should have followed as Ronaldo, Rooney and Dimitar Berbatov all missed good chances whilst Carlos Tevez smacked a shot against the post.

Attendance : 27,321
Assists : Rooney, Ronaldo

Gary Dowden - Joint Admin YahooGroups Premier-L list
Leeds United and Scotland and proud of it
The Unofficial Premiership Site